RR3 Angler under investigation for selling fish - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default RR3 Angler under investigation for selling fish

From the daily breeze:

Redondo Beach firefighter allegedly sold catch from fishing trip illegally

A Redondo Beach fire captain who caught more than 800 pounds of tuna on a recent sportfishing trip off San Diego is under investigation for allegedly selling some of it from the back of his truck, authorities said Tuesday. Capt. Scott Harper might have violated state laws that prohibit sport fishermen from selling their catches. "Anything you catch is for personal use or to give it away to friends or family, but you can never sell," said Andrew Hughan, a spokesman for the state Fish and Game department.

Hughan declined to discuss the case that was opened last week in San Diego. "The Department of Fish and Game has an ongoing investigation into this incident and we cannot comment further until the investigation is complete," Hughan said. Harper could not be reached for comment. He could potentially face a misdemeanor that could result in an $8,000 fine, officials said. Redondo Beach Fire Chief Dan Madrigal said Fish and Game authorities notified him of the case on Monday. Madrigal said he would open his own investigation. Fish and Game authorities had not provided him any information about the case, which occurred while Harper was off-duty. "I have been contacted and they are looking into this allegation at this time," Madrigal said. "I'm not aware of charges against any of my employees. I'm unaware of any monetary transaction that occurred." Harper was the "star of the trip" aboard the Red Rooster III, which docked at H&M Landing in San Diego Feb. 3 following a 15-day Bluefin Jim and Pelagic charter, according to the website, Redrooster3.com. The trip produced 18 tuna weighing more than 200 pounds and about 100 wahoo. Harper, the website said, caught the largest fish, "a 293.6-pounder, on a double squid bait on Mustad 20/0 circle hooks under the kite with the boat's kite rig." "My best fish before this trip was a 160-pounder," the website quoted Harper as saying. "I got him in 15 minutes on that rig."

Harper also caught two tunas weighing 270 and 252 pounds, the website said. Madrigal called Harper a "very outstanding employee, very supportive of the profession and the city's Fire Department's policies and procedures." Also on the trip was Division Chief Paul Lepore, who caught a 204-pound tuna, the website said. A third firefighter also was on the trip. The Red Rooster III, a 105-foot sportfishing yacht, operates trips from Lee Palm Sportfishers in San Diego into Mexican waters. People who fish in Mexican waters must carry Mexican fishing licenses. Mexican law also makes it illegal to receive financial gain from fish caught while sportfishing.
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: RR3 Angler under investigation for selling fish

this will get some people's attention......mostly Mexican authorities .
fishybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes it will fishy, and even if the guy ids prosecuted and sentenced accordingly, nothing good will come of it.

All things like this do is confirm what many have suspected all along. It won't matter that 99.5% of us never do this, it makes us all look bad.
Baja Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi ironmike,

Thanks for the thread in the sense that I would have never been aware of the current flap. Everybody needs to be aware such news is going out to the public. As said by Baja Dreamer, this can only negitively effect how the general public (and maybe even worse yet provide ammo to certain Mexican authorities wishing to shut down fishing down south) percives we angler's ethics although 99.5% of us follow the regs.

tsurikichi
tsurikichi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurikichi
Hi ironmike,

Thanks for the thread in the sense that I would have never been aware of the current flap. Everybody needs to be aware such news is going out to the public. As said by Baja Dreamer, this can only negitively effect how the general public (and maybe even worse yet provide ammo to certain Mexican authorities wishing to shut down fishing down south) percives we angler's ethics although 99.5% of us follow the regs.

tsurikichi
Wils is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Let's not be too presumptive of his guilt until the whole story comes out. He may have received monies for the processing cost from a friend or relative, in which case would be acceptable if the fish was given as a gift.
reel man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Is that possible ? Or Legal ? That is, to sell sportcaught fish that has been vacuum packed / filleted and sell it for what the processing costs? I don't know where it would define this or how to find out. But that sounds good, I just haven't heard alot about that part.
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

I really posted this to try to update and educate everyone on the issue. Most veterans know this already. I saw one local infamous fish processor sell sport caught fish to restaurant when I was at his fly-ridden shop once. He got in trouble for other things but not that.

This issue seems to come up on alot on trips Ive been on. A few people actually think they can finance the trip by selling fish. In California (but not every state) is it not legal to sell sport caught fish. In years past, there were undercover Fish and Game agents actually at the docks. If you even gave fish to some of the local asians that used to showed up to ask you to donate some fish to them, they would fine you on the spot. I saw it happen after a Vagabond trip on 1998. I talked to the agent who said most of "donated" fish ended up getting sold at a local market, so that donating to someone who intended to sell it is also illegal.

Even if you have a commercial license, you cannot sell fish caught on a sport boat. It has to be a licensed commercial boat.

As the article says, you can give to friends, but not sell it. Not sure about using it for barter though.

BTW - sport caught fish is legal to sell in Hawaii. Problem is, the boat captain keeps the money.

IM
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

800 pounds !! killing fish for sport? or fishing?
should be made to eat it at every meal
would prob. make a hit reality show( how many tuna fish sandwiches can yeah eat.)
Maybe he,s doing it to feed the fire dept. or occupy L A
When there are no fish/ then what do we fish for?
what % of the fishermen ruin it for everyone else?
chester smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester smith
800 pounds !! killing fish for sport? or fishing? should be made to eat it at every meal would prob. make a hit reality show( how many tuna fish sandwiches can yeah eat.) Maybe he,s doing it to feed the fire dept. or occupy L A When there are no fish/ then what do we fish for? what % of the fishermen ruin it for everyone else?
I don't understand your post. 800 lbs of fish processed might yield a liitle over 300 lbs of loins, etc. When the fish is properly cared for an processed it will last for a year or maybe even longer as long as the packaging is good. If you give a little away to friends and family, before long you are out of tuna. This post is about selling fish illegally. not how much fish you should retain on a long range trip. That is a topic for another thread.

This post edited by conchydong 02/18/2012
conchydong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.