Wahoo fishing - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wahoo fishing

I've been blessed to be on several Wahoo trips where we actually came close to limits on the Hoo. Days gone by.
Many more fish were taken on bombs or raiders than bait.
One of my favorite reels has always been the Newell 533 5.5. I matched it to a Calstar 700XH.
Although the tuna had little attraction to a bomb on the sink, I found a 85# Tuna that liked my raider jig. A bad experience.

I switched to using a 12T by Cal for the Raiders. It wound it fast enough and serves many other fishing uses.
Cal has done some upgrades that make it a superior reel.
But I needed more reels.

Tiburon 12SST does a great job of tossing 40-50# to anything, so I added that.

I got a deal - so I bought a Avet HX 5/2. I enjoy the gear ratio for hoo, or dropping down if you get a toad. The only issue is the side load at >15# drag. I do love the reel, but WTF. Gear ratio high and low is ideal.

I considered a HX Raptor to add to the quiver. I'm just not sure the side load will not be similar. The 12T's don't have it, not the drag capability.
The SST is flawless at that load, but a bit bulkier.
The Okuma's didn't give me the retrieve rate.

I've looked at the raptor, and have to compare it to Tiburon.

Step up Harry, with a no bind thrust bearing.

The HX 5/2 is one of my favorite reels. But I'd have to go with another SST12 at this point.

Just my honest opinion.

Dock
docktordocktor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Wahoo fishing

I found a new in the bow Pro Gear Wahoo last year, wheeeee!
Mounted it on an original GUSA Wahoo rod.
Never got a chance to even take it out of the rack.
Looked very nice though.
sactotuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Brad_G

Dock,

Thanks for the info.

You're right that the Tiburon SST 12 is great, but bulky, for wahoo. I use the SST 6 model--much narrower version of the same reel. It will hold up to 400 yards of 65# solid spectra plus a 50 yard topshot of 50# mono. A great jigging reel, highly recommended. If you want more capacity, try the 8, a mid size between the 6 and 12.

BTW, the SST6 works just as well for yoyo too. I love that it winds the jig back at high 6:1 speed, then automatically switches to low gear if you get hit and makes turning the fish much easier.
Brad_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

The regular HX-2 binds for me. I will stick to my Trinidad 40
Bill W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

I use a TN40N that I find ideal...

now don't laugh but I also really like my Shimano 8000 twin Power spinning outfit.....but it sucks when that 100# tuna takes a liking to a catchy 33.....;been there done that)
fishybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

On my last trip I paired a Daiwa Saltist 40 2-speed with Grafighter 700XH, and I found it to be a fantastic combination. 6.4:1 retrieve rate (low gear is 3.1:1), great free spool, excellent low gear. I think maybe the 35 reel would be even better. The reel is the same height but narrower, holds just about 320 yards of 65lb solid.
Rodless_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

I like the 700XH and the B2-870 & the gold/pink Raider, but I'm usually most productive using a wired hook with a sardine.

Same outfit with the Sea Strike/Catchy 33 in white for yellowtail on the yo-yo is great.

If I could only take one outfit on my spring 8-day this is it!
mogandave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to fshman1

Out of the 30 plus reels I own,I dont think I have a single one that has not brought a wahoo on board.My favorite by far,my 40 Trinidad Ray
fshman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodless_Jim
On my last trip I paired a Daiwa Saltist 40 2-speed with Grafighter 700XH, and I found it to be a fantastic combination. 6.4:1 retrieve rate (low gear is 3.1:1), great free spool, excellent low gear. I think maybe the 35 reel would be even better. The reel is the same height but narrower, holds just about 320 yards of 65lb solid.
Not to be rude Jim, But I think we are comparing expensive reels here.
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodless_Jim
Not to be rude Jim, But I think we are comparing expensive reels here.
That's not particularly rude, Wallace. But for the record, I have used Accurates and Shimanos and even the specially narrowed Newell, and none of them performed as well as the Daiwa.

Now it just so happens that I own Saltists rather than Saltigas, but if you were looking for a higher end reel that would work really well in this application, the Saltiga 35 2-speed runs about $470, and would fit the bill just as well or better than the Saltist. Better, certainly, if you hook a tuna by accident.

I was just saying that I haven't found a reel that performs for wahoo better than the Saltist. May simply mean that I don't know what I'm talking about, but that's my experience.

Rodless_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.