Actual Test Result of Soft Steel Ultra - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Actual Test Result of Soft Steel Ultra

Good afternoon all, Since I have been away fishing and tied up with other stuff I finally can get back to the test results for Soft Steel Ultra Mono being brought back to market here in the U.S. by Tony Garza. In order to get a real third party test result I sent a variety of line test strengths to Paul in Australia who does some full on testing of most all fishing lines. I have also included a link to his web site where you can click on line testing and then compare the results from the Soft Steel to other world wide fishing line manufacturers. On Paul's site you will see the results of mono, flouro, braid, etc. types of lines. The key is to compare the line diameters in millimeters rather than just using the manufacturers line ratings. You will see some various differences between stated line strengths and line diameters from manufacturer to manufacturer. You can also compare test results of mono Vs. flouro at similar line diameters. I also have had myself and other anglers test these lines in actual fishing conditions. When the last angler returns from their trips I will update this report. Before I give the test results I do want to note Soft Steel continues to live up to it's reputation as being a high strength yet very supple line. In fact the first thing folks notice about the line is just how supple it feels in one's hands. This also means the line can lay smoother in the water as compared to stiffer lines. It also means the line casts brilliantly. However, do not let the suppleness fool you as you can see the hardness ratings of these lines is exceptional. I am not sure how they do it but this line is the real deal for the majority of fishing applications. Here are the test results. It is great information to go to Paul's web site to compare the data to lines perhaps you have used. Again, please compare actual similar diameters in both the Soft Steel Mono as it compares to other mono manufacturers and even Flouro lines to see just how good this stuff is. Anyone who knows me knows I am a completely unbiased user of fishing products only concerned with finding and continuing to research the best products and techniques for every aspect of fishing. Dry Tests 40lb tested 57.58lb av, diam 0.626 mm, hardness 95.1 50lb tested 69.17lb av, diam 0.693 mm, hardness 95.5 80lb tested 103.69lb av, diam 0.832 mm, hardness 96.4 100lb tested 119.35lb av, diam 0.913 mm, hardness 97.3 130lb tested 170.04lb av, diam 01.092 mm, hardness 97.9 The lines lost 10% when soaked for 2.5 hrs. (I believe just about every line loses some properties, about 10%, when it is in the water for long periods of time. I would love to have Paul do some testing of knots which are soaked for long periods of time as well) Paul's web site is noted below is is chalked full of great information. Go to to the line testing tab and just click. Then scroll down. http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/index.htm Enjoy the information. Jamie

This post edited by fishordie 04/25/2012
fishordie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Actual Test Result of Soft Steel Ultra

The key is to compare the line diameters in millimeters rather than just using the manufacturers line ratings

Amen to that!!!
BruceSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.