pulled the trigger on a long trip - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default pulled the trigger on a long trip

after reading the reports from this spring big fish season i couldn't wait any longer. been wanting to do a long trip for big tuna and wahoo for years. things have finally worked out for me to say f*#k it, i'm going. booked a 14 dayer on the american angler in april of next year. this will be my first big fish trip so if you have any tips,info or suggestions please post them up!thanks.
okie man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: pulled the trigger on a long trip

Let me know if you need to borrow anything Kerry.
wahoodad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know a few people that are on that trip. You will be with a good group. Can't go wrong with the AA. Should be a great time of year, expect Big Tuna and Wahoo. Enjoy
brn2fis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

You've already done the biggest thing, committing to going!

All the rest is just details.
sactotuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Very cool......you made a excellent choice.....now you are ruined for anything else..
fishybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodad
Let me know if you need to borrow anything Kerry.
thanks buddy! i told the wife this would be a one time deal! feel bad for lying too her!i see shiny new things in the next few months.i'm sure i'll have lots of questions for you between now and time to head west.thanks again
Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Brad_G

Congrats, should be a wonderful experience.

I'm hardly the most experienced person here, but I did a trip like that last year. As you probably would figure out, you'll really be fishing mostly for big tuna and wahoo, not really anything else. That should help limit what you need to bring. Your wahoo rod can double for bait making or if you do some yoyo or rockfishing on the way home. Speaking of bait making, we did it almost every night, so bring lots of sabikis and weights (I screwed up on this and didn't bring enough).

If the sharks are bad, you can go through a lot of topshots; I was told 5-10 a day. Luckily, they weren't bad on our trip, but I did lose a couple of fish and some bait making rigs to them--they stole the bait as I was bringing it up and took the bait making rig with it. So either have a bunch of topshots, or bring the components and use the travel time to make some. And if you lose topshots, you'll be losing hooks too, so have plenty of those also.

I might be over-prepared, but I think its also a good idea to bring a big spool of replacement spectra--in case you get spooled, if you can't re-spool your reel its useless.

You'll get more and no doubt better advice from others and by reading past reports, but you'll have a year to get ready .
Brad_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

just want to say thanks to all that have been giving great advice and offered to loan me gear for my trip. you are true gentlemen!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Okie

My first long range trip was on the AA in spring 1994, 17 days visiting San Benedicto, Socorro, Roca Partida (spelling?), and Clarion. I had no idea of what I needed or not and brought very little. The folks on that trip were quite helpful and I was able to catch some real fish.

I'd say to mostly enjoy the trip and please don't worry about all the fancy gear others may have, most of it won't be used.

Bring or borrow at least one 50 size 2-speed reel filled with spectra and a XH or XXH rod for it. Bring short topshots of 100 to 150 pound. If you can build your own topshots you will save $$$ and have a lot of fun.

Bring at least one 40 to 50 pound jig fishing rod/reel for wahoo, with some flashy wahoo jigs.

Bring a 30-40 pound rod/reel for wahoo bait fishing, wire leader needed.

Most boats let you use their trolling gear and also usually a kite fishing rod/reel. Ask in advance.

Lastly, bring, and use, decent sunscreen and large brim hats. I'm a melanoma survivor and I don't want you to deal with that.

Utah
UtahTuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Should be a good one. About time I got back on a longer trip. Since my first and so far only 15 day trip (June Heat on the Rooster 2009) I've had a couple of trips. 11 and 12 day trips ended up in the Buffer Zone and at the Bank. This a result of poor fishing on the beach.

I sometimes find anglers on these big fish trips are a little apprehensive about fishing with the big gear. Tough enough to flyline a Sardine sometimes when fishing just a light trickle of current like we find frequently at Alijos. All the hours you've spent perfecting that technique while fishing the 40 and 50 lb will pay dividends when you get into the big gear. Drifting helps as instead of getting the bait away from the boat, you take advantage of the boat getting away from the bait.

Selectively, there might be a time and a place to fish the bobber balloon, but that needs to be controlled as it can get out of control in a hurry if too many anglers try to do it at the same time. Fishing the kite is a great experience as a big tuna makes a pretty good sized hole in the water when it takes the bait. Love that Wahoo fishing.

We're going to have a good time. Cool thing about a trip of this length is those extra days in the zone. Plenty of time to get in some quality rail time. The limited load of only 18 anglers should be nice as well. Only 51 weeks to go; we're inside a year. Should be here before we know it.
Steve K is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.