QUALIFER 105 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default QUALIFER 105

On the other board, I just read that the Qaulifier 105 has closed its doors and gone out of business as of Thursday May 24th. Looks like another casualty of tough economic times. I will miss her and all the wonderful times I fished on her over the past 15 years or so.
fyermn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: QUALIFER 105

sad news. heard that on top of fuel tank issues the boat needed lots of structural work!
okie man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Brad_G

That's a bummer. My first longer trips were on the Q, the "FishFest" trips that used to happen on Allcoast were on the Q, and I was lucky enough to do one of their calico skiff trips, a great experience. Some great people worked on that boat over the years.

Best of luck to Joe and the whole crew.
Brad_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

you could see it coming for years......the boat just wasn't maintained and many trips were canceled for various reasons.......always sad to see a operation go under....
fishybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, what a shame.
mogandave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have seen many go down the last five years. You have to be a glutton for punishment to start out in the the fishing industry these days. Even if you make a few hundred grand a year.....divide it by the hours you grind and you mine as well be working in a sneaker factory in El Salvador. Competition, weather, fuel prices, people holding on to their cash, bag limits, time away from family, shorter seasons, coastal shut downs...the list goes on....God bless 'em all...it must be a hard life. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVlDS...eature=related

This post edited by Oakey520 05/30/2012
Oakey520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Brad_G

A real tough business for sure, something you'd get into for love rather than money.

Here's some info posted here in 2005 to help explain why fishing costs were rising by Chris Randel, long time owner/captain of the Indian, another recent victom of the times:

Let me try to paint the picture as to why things keep going up. Before the boat gets any money the landing takes 15%, the bait company takes 15% and the port of San Diego takes 7% of our gross; now thats almost 40% of every dollar and the boat has not even left the dock

Now of the remaining 63%, I have a boat payment $40.000 a year, insurance $14.000, Mexican boat permit $12.000, payroll $80.000, just came out of dry dock at Knight and Carver bill $33.000 and $7.0000 for materials at Marine Exchange. Did we forget fuel? I can remember paying 71 cents a gallon when I bought my boat in 1997 not $2.20 a gallon, this year around $70.000 for fuel. This all adds up to $256.000 but because I am only getting 63% I will have to gross at least $400.000 if I want to keep my head above water.

So you may now have a little better feel as to why it costs so much to go fishing--too many fingers in the pie, fuel, inflation, Mexican permits, higher insurance premiums and boats are very high maintence. And as for higher prices in prime time its supply and demand just like a hotel their winter rates can be dirt cheap but try a Saturday in August and expect to pay a lot more. Well I hope this helps some understand what is really going on.
Brad_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_G
A real tough business for sure, something you'd get into for love rather than money.

Here's some info posted here in 2005 to help explain why fishing costs were rising by Chris Randel, long time owner/captain of the Indian, another recent victom of the times:

Let me try to paint the picture as to why things keep going up. Before the boat gets any money the landing takes 15%, the bait company takes 15% and the port of San Diego takes 7% of our gross; now thats almost 40% of every dollar and the boat has not even left the dock

Now of the remaining 63%, I have a boat payment $40.000 a year, insurance $14.000, Mexican boat permit $12.000, payroll $80.000, just came out of dry dock at Knight and Carver bill $33.000 and $7.0000 for materials at Marine Exchange. Did we forget fuel? I can remember paying 71 cents a gallon when I bought my boat in 1997 not $2.20 a gallon, this year around $70.000 for fuel. This all adds up to $256.000 but because I am only getting 63% I will have to gross at least $400.000 if I want to keep my head above water.

So you may now have a little better feel as to why it costs so much to go fishing--too many fingers in the pie, fuel, inflation, Mexican permits, higher insurance premiums and boats are very high maintence. And as for higher prices in prime time its supply and demand just like a hotel their winter rates can be dirt cheap but try a Saturday in August and expect to pay a lot more. Well I hope this helps some understand what is really going on.

Interesting....as I have said, back home you just walk on the boat in the morning or at night for a 1/2-full day trip. For overnighters you call the captain direct or talk to his wife and book the trip. No landing dipping into your profits besides slip fees to the marina or town.. Bait is not nearly as expensive as there is not as much live bait used. I think the trade off back home is weather. You get blown out more often back east. So you are not spending as many days earning as you are here. Either way it is a tough to make a living..
Oakey520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Very sad indeed.
The bulk of my long-range fishing was done on the Q, it's been quite a few years since i've done a long-range trip (2003 was the last) I've done a dozen plus trips on the Q including 3 Revilla fly-downs, 4 - 10 dayer's and numerous others from 3-7 days, I made many good friends from passengers to many of the deckhands.
Along with rising prices, the economy and buying a home I just couldn't afford to do them any longer.
Unfortunately, IMO the average income fisherman got priced out of the long-range experience years ago and it seems like it's just upper income/retired individuals with large disposable incomes that are fortunate enough to partake.
No sour grapes here, it's just the way it is now and hopefully some day I'll be able to afford to get back out there, unfortunately though, the Q won't be the boat of choice for me.
Best of luck to you John, and thank you for many years of great memories!
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT
Very sad indeed.
The bulk of my long-range fishing was done on the Q, it's been quite a few years since i've done a long-range trip (2003 was the last) I've done a dozen plus trips on the Q including 3 Revilla fly-downs, 4 - 10 dayer's and numerous others from 3-7 days, I made many good friends from passengers to many of the deckhands.
Along with rising prices, the economy and buying a home I just couldn't afford to do them any longer.
Unfortunately, IMO the average income fisherman got priced out of the long-range experience years ago and it seems like it's just upper income/retired individuals with large disposable incomes that are fortunate enough to partake.
No sour grapes here, it's just the way it is now and hopefully some day I'll be able to afford to get back out there, unfortunately though, the Q won't be the boat of choice for me.
Best of luck to you John, and thank you for many years of great memories!
That's an outstanding post.
sactotuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.