3 Day Report - Pacific Voyager - Phoenix Fishing Charter - Dare I say "Epic" Bluefin Fishing!!! - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 03:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3 Day Report - Pacific Voyager - Phoenix Fishing Charter - Dare I say "Epic" Bluefin Fishing!!!

Hide-ho Friends and Neighbors... It's been a while since I've checked in but I wanted to give a quick report anyhow... Although technically the Pacific Voyager isn't a "Long Range" boat, we were in long range water so I suppose this report is where it belongs... Anyhow I don't have a lot of pictures or any of that jazz but figured I had better report something after the "epic" trip we had on the PV... I basically stumbled onto this boat because of my buddy Len from Arizona... (Thanks Pal!)... He called and despite my protests said that despite how busy we both are with work we NEED to go fishing... Unfortunately our schedules only allowed us to get away for three days so this trip was a perfect fit! Day one (7/12, we departed Seaforth at about 10:00PM on 7/11) started out slow as we went to the west to investigate reports by the spotter plane that bluefin were seen at 80 miles... Although things were pretty thin out west from what we could find we did manage to pickup a few bluefin and some yellows on patties... At that point Captain Mark said screw this, we're going south... At about 6:00AM on 7/13, things started off with a bang and we got into a fairly decent morning bite with bluefin from 30 to 40 pounds with some mixed in yellows (quality yellows BTW 20-40#)... I think we were roughly 210 miles down at this point... Things thinned out and we started looking again... By 9:00AM we stopped on a small sliver of kelp that turned into the bite of a lifetime... From that point on we picked at quality bluefin (from 30 to 35 pounds with some mixed in yellows)... Long story short (sorry I'm tired) we ended up drifting approximately 7 miles and battled the fish for 9 hours straight... The spotters and seiners came close but apparently found better grade elsewhere as they left us alone... We ended up having to leave the fish still biting and head home around 7:00PM as this was a three-day trip with another charter scheduled to go out behind us... Fish count (15 anglers): 150 Bluefin Tuna 50 Yellowtail 1 Dorado Special thanks to Captain Mark and the Crew of the Pacific Voyager (Todd, Kyle, Matt & Jeff in the galley). These guys really took care of us and I have nothing but great things to say about this boat and crew!!! Another High-Five to Ted from Phoenix Fishing who was our charter master. Thanks Len for inviting me as this was one of those trips that few anglers stumble across... Wow... Truly Epic! The fish are biting so get on a boat and get down there!!! Happy Fishing...

This post edited by wifi 07/15/2012
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fishing PV 7.13.2012.jpg (54.9 KB, 0 views)
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: 3 Day Report - Pacific Voyager - Phoenix Fishing Charter - Dare I say "Epic" Bluefin Fishing!!!

Hi wifi,

Had to be some kinda fun trip .... and the year's worth of sushi to boot !!

Thanks,

tsurikichi
tsurikichi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default re: 3 Day Report - Pacific Voyager - Phoenix Fishing Charter - Dare I say "Epic" Bluefin Fishing!!!

great trip. what was the hot setup?
dunku2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

WOW, nice trip! I love fishing the Pacific Voyager, true long range-style service on a compact platform. I bet the crew was as stoked as you guys were, too. Great bunch of guys.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

GOOD JOB....and nice load of fish...that's the kind of
school we all seek to find. We pulled up and spun around
on several at 100-120mi Thursday and not a single biter. LOL
Glad you found a good one further down.
RonBeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mainly 20 or 25 flouro but they were also biting 30 and sometimes even 40. With 20 or 25 it was pretty much instant, it was just a long battle once they were hooked... I used 2/0 circles but 1/0 were working fine as well... flouro was a must...

This post edited by wifi 07/16/2012
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.