Current reports from long range 07/20/2012 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Current reports from long range 07/20/2012

First, let's talk about bluefin. There are a couple of different zones. I just returned from working a 4 day trip on the RR3, and we had very good fishing offshore. We concentrated on the upper zone, which is about 130-140 miles from Point Loma. Our zone was seiner free for two of the 3 days. It is a game of patience, as when they are down, you could be in the right zone, but they are so deep, you would not know you are where you need to be. And when they float, it is game on! The seiners and sportboats were all getting some when it was up and floating. There is also a lower zone, which we didn't hit, because we did well where we were. And rule #1 is "Don't leave fish to find fish!" The stops varied immensely, with the fish charging the boat and biting with reckless abandon, to a slow plunker style bite, where smaller hooks and lighter line was a must. After that initial onslaught of tuna charging the boat, you could still get a bite on 40 or 50# test, provided you could cast a bait. Smaller 2 speed reels, and 7 &1/2- 8 foot rods helped with this task. The fish are for the most part 20-25 pounds, with some fish over 30lbs! We didn't see any of those schools of larger fish, but I'm sure a few of those schools are still around. Next, the fish at Cedros were not biting all that well, but that could change the very next day. Also there has been some market squid around, strangely enough getting snagged on smaller sabiki rigs rather than the traditional squid snag rigs. Since the squid showed, the white sea bass have also responded to the candy bait. There haven't been many halibut caught lately, but most boats have concentrated on the bluefin since the weather is so good. Alijos Rocks really has not taken off tuna wise, but there are a lot of yellows to be caught there. Here the Intrepid found at least one tuna there. Check out that weather. The ridge is excellent for boats on trips 6 to 8 days in length. It is "Katy bar the door" yellowtail fishing, and then the boats slide just outside the ridge for yellowfin tuna fishing that is simply off the hook on 25-35# tuna, with some 40# standouts. There are some nice dorado being landed as well. On our trip, there was a tremendous south swell brewing. Not making it rough, but a lot of times that pushes warm water up, and we might have that larger yellowfin in range for the 4 & 5 day trips soon.

This post edited by wahoodad 07/20/2012
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7-19-2012.jpg (37.1 KB, 0 views)
wahoodad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Current reports from long range 07/20/2012

Nice update Dave. Recent line from the Royal Star report is that alot of that YFT is "off to the canneries". Think the BFT will last till August?
IM
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi wahoodad,

Nice recap ... and with multi-trips reported on .... folks sure to take better notice of the thread .... and make use of it !! The line of bendos there looks cool !!

tsurikichi
tsurikichi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmike
Nice update Dave. Recent line from the Royal Star report is that alot of that YFT is "off to the canneries". Think the BFT will last till August?
IM
I see plenty of bait, and still quite a few strips of colder water, so I'd venture to say the bluefin will hang around for awhile into August.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

I leave on a 4-day trip next Monday. Set ups from 25-60??????? ****, I'll look like I'm going on a 10 day trip.

Just so I can bring more stuff....................... Any dope on trolling and iron?
Gnarly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly
I leave on a 4-day trip next Monday. Set ups from 25-60??????? ****, I'll look like I'm going on a 10 day trip.

Just so I can bring more stuff....................... Any dope on trolling and iron?

One freak troll fish, personally I wouldn't bother having lines in the water. Typically Bluefin don't bite the troll well.

Yes, IMO, you need the 60#, and really, don't hesitate to use it at the start of a stop. And then when they back off into a plunk mode, the 25# is as low as you need to go, and gets bit well.

Good luck, have fun.

What boat?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly

One freak troll fish, personally I wouldn't bother having lines in the water. Typically Bluefin don't bite the troll well.

Yes, IMO, you need the 60#, and really, don't hesitate to use it at the start of a stop. And then when they back off into a plunk mode, the 25# is as low as you need to go, and gets bit well.

Good luck, have fun.

What boat?
Your boat............................... Red Rooster 3. Trip #7 Charkbait charter.
Gnarly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the update, dave.
I like the "south swell moving in" as I'm leaving in 2 weeks for 7 days on the intrepid.
maybe another stray/lost wahoo for me??? LOL
Wils is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wils
I like the "south swell moving in" as I'm leaving in 2 weeks for 7 days on the intrepid.
Still have that jig Bill? Try it out again.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wils
Still have that jig Bill? Try it out again.
Heck yeah, I still got that Kicker jig. it will be tied straight to 30# mono on the 20/40 star drag, seeker rod. I dont change what works.

and the Calstar 610 that baja dreamer wrapped a few years back will be my 40# live bait flippin' stick. I think that my back will like that stick a whole lot for 40#.
Wils is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.