Moving over to the Royal Polaris. - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Moving over to the Royal Polaris.

I fished for 3 years on the Q105 then moved over to the Red Rooster for the last 6 years. Now it's time to move again. This time to the Royal Polaris for a short 3- day trip leaving in a few days. (Sept 7).

My gut tells me we will be fishing offshore for the big YFT, BFT all three days and we have a good shot to get into a sunset bite on departure day. Any RP fans out there? Anybody on the Malibu Tackle 3-day charter?

Gnarly out.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2016, 04:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm a big chicken fan, but hope you love the RP

I'm guessing you're right about fishing offshore, Derrick spanked 'em pretty good on the last day of his 5-day.

Good luck, let me know how you like it...
mogandave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post
I fished for 3 years on the Q105 then moved over to the Red Rooster for the last 6 years. Now it's time to move again. This time to the Royal Polaris for a short 3- day trip leaving in a few days. (Sept 7).

My gut tells me we will be fishing offshore for the big YFT, BFT all three days and we have a good shot to get into a sunset bite on departure day. Any RP fans out there? Anybody on the Malibu Tackle 3-day charter?

Gnarly out.
My guess is you will be fishing 5 - 7 miles just south of San Clemente Island for the 3 day trip. That's where all the fish are and have been for the last 3 months. All of the big name long range boats have been fishing there the last 3 weeks including the Intrepid and RR III.

I think its funny that the best summer tuna fishing in probably 60+ years has been in American waters this year. And the Bluefins have been caught well into the 200+ pound range all near San Clemente Island.
Pelagic Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I leave in a week and the fish are still there. Bluefin from 10-140 pounds. Yellowfin from 40-80 pounds and a nice yellowtail here and there. Looks like the Navy made the boats move yesterday so some boats fished the frontside for yellowtail and bass so I'll add some light line set ups.

I was told that one spot has opened up.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Go get you some, they're out there!
Old 09-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I leave tomorrow (9-7) and the reports are very good. ON boats are talking limits of #60-#110 bluefin and the fish are eating the heavy line and big hooks. Weather today is flat calm with wind a 5 knots.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Want some get some fishing...good luck!
Old 09-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Fished for big bluefin the first 2 days. I did get a PB 126 pound fish. Total was 25 BFT from 50-147. Flat fall worked well on day 1 and live squid on day 2. We moved to the border and fished for YFT the last day and had a boat total 100 all 14-18 pounds. I got 3. Two on #25 with fluorocarbon and 1 on the kite. Light line was needed for the yellowfin and we saw a lot of fish out there.

The boat was good and I was happy with the crew. Food was very good and I ate too much.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like a nice trip, 126# on a three-day, sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.