TV Questions - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default TV Questions

It's time to replace my old set with a new big screen, probably 50"-52". Few qustions, LCD or Plasma? 3D? 1080p? What am I missing? Pros/Cons? I'm not real savvy on some of this stuff so any recommendations are welcome. I'm in no rush as long as I have it by Sept. 8th.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: TV Questions

I just put a new 50" Samsung plasma in the brake room at wok, it's pretty nice, I thought it was as nice as the LCD for 30% less money. I thought the LED had a noticeably nicer picture, but it was more than twice the money.

I would recommend cutting out a piece of cardboard the size of the set you're considering and seeing how it looks where you plan to put it. They can really overpower a room.
mogandave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was faced with this same decision a few months back. LED is the newest technology and it is much thinner but I went with the LCD as I really couldn't tell the difference and the thin set didn't mean much to me.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

One thing to keep in mind with LED screens is that when a LED dies, it remains a black pixel on the screen. The more LED's that die, the more black spots will populate your screen.

There are trade offs for every technology. I ended up with a Mitsubishi projection TV at under $1000. It may be deeper than others, definitely not a wall mount, but we have it on a built-in cabinet and just love it. We only have to worry about bulbs burning out and then replacing them; about $100.
11albacore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 03:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have had a 42" Sony, a 58" Samsung, a 42" Samsung and a 36" Samsung. All but the 36" are plasma. I personally prefer the plasma to all the others. Probably a personal preference, but I think the plasmas look better than my friends and relatives LCD's. No experience with LED's.

I think Samsung makes one of the best sets out there. My 58" was incredible. I say "was" because a 58" tv's are not bullet proof, nor do they resist a 5 year olds full throttle release of a Wii remote while playing bowling... ouch... I almsot cried a little when this happened.

Just look at lot of different tv's and go to a video store who will have knowledgable empolyees who can walk you through the process. Also, when looking at the tv's in the store, ask the clerks what the feed is coming in at. Most of the stores (best buy, costco, sam's club) are only running 720 feeds, so you will not be able to really see what the 1080 looks like. ask if they will hook a blue ray up so you can really see the difference between 720 and 1080.

No experience with the new 3d's, however it seems like a PIA to wear glasses at home to watch tv's.

Hope that helps some,

Jason
BiGPaC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Unless you're sitting closer than about 7ft to the tv it's nearly impossible to see the diff between 1080 and 720.
The suggestion about a cardboard template is a very good one, although bigger IS better, you can over the top in a small room.
Good luck finding a knowledgeable salesman in some stores.
sactotuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Don't forget 120hz or 240hz! I'm not impressed with the 240's. They look too fake. Broadcasts are 60 frames/sec. When you go with 120hz it iterpolates extra frames to 'smooth' out the action. 240 is way over the top and can make things look cartoonish (IMO).

Plasmas are way better these days than the early models that didn't last that many hours and had severe burn in issues. Plasmas still look better in brighter rooms with deeper blacks and wider field of view. I'm not sure that Plasma vs LCD/LED is really that big a deal anymore. I want something that doesn't get too hot, use too much power and isn't too heavy, has a great picture and fits both my space and budget. All do-able!

When I go to Costco they all look good! I'd get a 1080p with a built in wifi so I can stream netflix, etc (or stuff off my computer) without an add-on box. I'd forget about 3D.
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

All really good info here, just what I was looking for. I had already started to lean towards the 1080p and built in wifi, now it's a question of Plasma or not. I do have an in up here from one of the girls that works with me. She works part time for the Geek Squad and used to set up their home theaters. Thanks everybody.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

What kind of ambient light do you have in the room? When I was shopping for a TV I recall that the LCD panels worked better in a lighter room and the plasmas fared better in darker areas. I started out looking for a plasma and ended up with a Sony Bravia LCD TV, it has been a great choice. No idea on where the LEDs come in.
pounder224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT
Don't forget 120hz or 240hz! I'm not impressed with the 240's. They look too fake. Broadcasts are 60 frames/sec. When you go with 120hz it iterpolates extra frames to 'smooth' out the action. 240 is way over the top and can make things look cartoonish (IMO).

Plasmas are way better these days than the early models that didn't last that many hours and had severe burn in issues. Plasmas still look better in brighter rooms with deeper blacks and wider field of view. I'm not sure that Plasma vs LCD/LED is really that big a deal anymore. I want something that doesn't get too hot, use too much power and isn't too heavy, has a great picture and fits both my space and budget. All do-able!

When I go to Costco they all look good! I'd get a 1080p with a built in wifi so I can stream netflix, etc (or stuff off my computer) without an add-on box. I'd forget about 3D.
Sound advice. I've got LCDs made that choice and have been pretty happy.
Hithard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.