Forkies at the 14 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2004, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Forkies at the 14

After a couple of years viewing this site I thought I would get off the dime and contribute. My partner Steve and left Newport Saturday at 5:00am on our 26 foot Striper " LA CALACA ROJA " loaded with some lively dines and headed for the 14 to look for paddies. Arrived just after 5:30 to find 70.5 degree water and acres of bait on the surface. Found our first paddie just before 6:00 and fly-lined some bait to see if anyone was home. We both hooked-up on our first casts and managed to boat one yellow that later weighed in at 19lbs. Sadly we farmed 2 more fish before the fish lit-out. We found 3 more paddies but were all loaded with bait and no yellows. We did see some small Dorados but could not get them to bite. Made a quick run to the 277 but only found cold water, 66.6 degrees. All in all not a bad day.

SEAN
LA CALACA ROJA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Forkies at the 14

Nice job and report, sounds like they are finally here....I saw a tailer marlin yesterday on the way back from Avalon as well. La Calaca Roja.......I speak fairly decent spanish, and have no idea what that means........except for the red part, can you translate?

PS: Welcome to the jungle:7
Wideopen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Wideopen, thanks for the inquiry. Are you familiar with the November 1st Mexican holiday," dia de los Muertos " day of the dead? From midnight on November 1 till midnight on November 2 mexican families honor their dead relitivies and decorate their homes and grave-sites. Calaca's are wooden skeleton's which are widely used on this day. My number two son Brendan is a tall lanky redhead, looks like Shaggy on Scobby-Do. We have been lucky to have spent many years fishing in Mexico. He was given his mexican name " LA CALACA ROJA " by his uncle after spending an afternoon chasing tuna off the east cape. I named my boat after him three years ago. It loosely translate's to " THE RED SKELETON ".

WORK HARD...FISH HARDER...
LA CALACA ROJA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good report, good info, and Spanish language/Mexican culture lesson to boot. Hope to see more from you.

Fish the Tides - Freddie
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Muy Bien mi compadre.....Gracious!
Wideopen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank's for the report. Welcome aboard.
Cape Horn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Thanks

Thanks for taking that run out there and lending the good report. Something to hope for offshore...

Welcome
Fair Warning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2004, 05:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like it could bust open any day now with the warm water and exotics up here locally. Thanks for the report.
Rhatical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2004, 05:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Wideopen -

I thought I recognized your boat last Friday/Saturday at Descanso, but I couldn't place it.

I was the Blue/White Albin 28 w/Tower on your port side. Thanks for the fenders to use. I put them in your kayak & innertube when I left because you guys were on-shore.

Maybe we'll see you there again.
SmoothCs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2004, 06:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Bob - Was down at the Harbor having dinner last night and got word the
Fury was on the way in with 176 yellows. The landing staff would only
say it was "local" and nothing more.
We were driving out when the Fury came around the corner and the sacks appeared to be full.

It's time.

Skidave
"Proud Mary"
Team BitesOn.com
skidave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.