Rpt-Weds 8-18 Brute Albies & Toad Tails - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rpt-Weds 8-18 Brute Albies & Toad Tails

3 Albacore to 40 lbs. & six Yellowtail to 27 lbs.

Fishing Weds. 8-18-04 with Gabe Delbuono on his 22 GB Cat "Real Time", with son Ricky & friend Jim. We launched out of SI at midnight, heading south 85 miles to 31 20 & 117 50. Curtis on the boat Hanna and Brandon hailed us upon arrival at 5:30am. We began trolling west, and quickly found a kelp paddy that accounted for all our fish, but one albacore caught trolling in the afternoon. These Yellowtail were all brutes, biggest for me this year, I landed three fish over 25 lbs. and one pig Albie. We spent the rest of the morning looking at boiling and puddling albies, which refused to take a bait or jig, very frustrating. Ran east when a call from Curtis said they had found a school of yellowfin tuna some 10 miles away. We only caught one albacore on the troll and that was it, still 74 miles from the point at 2 pm. and low on fuel, kicked it for the barn. Somewhere near 230 miles for the day.

Here is Ricky, Gabe and Jim with some huge Yellowtail.

Here I am with two of my three brute tails.

Here is Ricky, Gabe and Jim with some pig Albacore.

Here I am with my huge Albacore.

Here is the day's catch!

[img]http://myfishingpics.]

Not a stellar day, but quality over quantity. Thanks again Gabe for the invite,. Hope we can do it again soon.

Hook up! Cory
Tunaslam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Rpt-Weds 8-18 Brute Albies & Toad Tails

Thanks for the report

Leaving early tomorrow for Mex. Then fishing Friday.

We plan on working north of the 500 and back up to the 238 unless
we get some scoop at the docks.....

Creechin
Creechin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2004, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cory, those are some real quality tails off a paddy. How did you keep them out of the salad? Were you using your 40#? I have had a **** of time over the years keeping the brute tails from breaking me off when I hook them within a run of the paddy.

Fish the Tides - Freddie
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2004, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey Corey,

I have read and enjoyed your posts for ever! I am just curious though...you fish more than anyone I know (retired?). What is the secret to getting on all these steller PB trips? I have a 21' Reef Runner...I am selling it in hopes of a bigger boat. BUT, when I see guys without boats (I am assuming you don't have one?) fishing way more than I get to, it makes me wonder if I should just crew for others and not buy another boat...maintenance costs x( .

I know, kinda a weird post, and in NO way a slam (maybe jealous), just makes me wonder if I should buy another boat.

Zimm (In WI for work...no wonder I never fish the Pacific!)
Ztunamann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2004, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice report and pics Cory, glad to see that you got some quality size fish. Eventhough you didn't go home with a big quantity of fish, you still went home with a lot of meat. I almost fish as much as you do ;-) HOOK-UP!
Red Drum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2004, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

RZ, slam some smallies back there and tell Angell I said hello! You can boat ***** with me next weekend, give me a ring!
bassnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2004, 03:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the report. Looks like you guys moved a little west from prior reports. Did it sound like other areas were more productive?

Mike
hardrider5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2004, 04:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Gabes Reel Time

Cory

Had a great time yesturday, thanks for posting the report. We got some real toads, quality fish, would have loved a little more quantity, maybe next time. Like always, great fishing with you.
Gabes Reel Time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2004, 04:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Good luck Creechin, hope you nail them.
Thanks for the feedback. Hook Up! Cory
Old 08-19-2004, 04:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default RE: Freddie

At first I threw 40, always start with the heavy stuff, especially with huge tails and albies around, however, no bites, dropped to 25 and instant bendo! Gotta tell ya, those big brutes put me to task especially the pig albie, coulda caught more fish, had I not been in so many fights with the big'ns, can't pull hard on 25. All the tails went to the kelp, they just didn't get tangled, got lucky. Thanks for the feedback. Hook Up! Cory

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.