Selling your bite info - Page 4 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #31 (permalink)

Default C'mon...

Really HD???

That's your answer...
Payaso1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #32 (permalink)

Default RE: Selling your bite info

Well I have to say that Jim Day has expressed many of the same thoughts I have had in regards to the service. >Why is a wide open bite on sub-breeder sized threshers >BIG NEWS? Is it because the rarity of the event? Is it >because these fish can be very elusive? Is it because the >population is so depleted? I myself don't consider this BIG >NEWS! Serious anglers wouldn't consider this news because they are out there on a regular basis and learn the cycles of the ocean. The Clark Grizwalds of the world might not know that the T-sharks sometimes appear in these conditions because they don't get out enough. You have a type of "natural selection" of anglers out there. Some have it, and know when and where to fish and some don't for whatever reason. The reason it IS big news can be attributed to the Internet. Plain and simple. Some try and say publishing this timely info on the Internet is no different than broadcasting it over the public VHF. Anyone who believes that is fooling themselves. Myself and my friend across the street wouldn't know anything about this bite if the Internet didn't exist. >broken leaders as a result. Those fish survive. The absolute >worst scenario (and image) is that of a 2.5 hr fight on 40 lb >with the angler calling for more beer on the radio. IMO >there's no place for that. That is the risk of calling >everyone and anyone in on a bite. > You are correct about the tackle issue and some was caused by folks surprised by the bite on the water. The crowd I'm afraid of is the Grizwalds looking for a 'trophy fish'. T's are easy pickings when they are thick like this. We hear more and more about "parking lots" out on the water during the summer. Well the parking lots are going to start getting bigger now. The guys who frequent the surf fishing board have stopped publishing their locations long ago because huge mobs would show up at their once quiet beaches and ruin it. And how long before some joker starts publishing the same reports on some free site. Nothing to keep someone from signing up and then copying every report almost word for word to another site. Or maybe I'll start a web site and stream the same VHF frequencies over the net. Would be easy to set up multiple locations to capture audio and let er rip. Could capture voice triggered VHF audio and stream it live and archive it forever. I believe this activity will eventually have a chilling effect on the unsolicited exchange of information we all now enjoy. One good thing about it though. Maybe there will be less chatter on the radio so we can hear more Whhhaaaatttttttssssssuuuupppppp!!!!!!! See ya'll out in the parking lot [img src=""] Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit.
HTTP404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 05:28 PM   #33 (permalink)

Why do you bother coming here any more Mike?

WHY?

Because you garner information off this board like everyone else does!
Stop mandating how you feel, and your beliefs, onto others.
I wish I lived up in NORBULAND for a season.
Not you or anyone else up there . .
Talk about living in a fish bowl.

Oh yeah, go ahead and send me a PM on this . . .
I'll be more than happy to engage you.
I have a bunch of $hit stored-up I've wanted to say to you for years anyway!

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.
JSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 05:33 PM   #34 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to FILMFISH
Default RE: C'mon...

The reports do nothing but make me want to quit work and go fish... which NEVER happens. Don't know about everyone else but if I'm going fishing (seems like hardly ever!) I get on the phone the night before, check the temp charts (thanks to sharks.us) and ask everyone once I get on the water what's up - once I get to the MDR breakwall I have heard 30 different stories and end up going where I wanted to go before I spoke to everyone...

I don't think that people actually wait to read the reports before they go fish. I'd love to see the chart that has the "hot spots" that were listed on this site from one day and a the catches the next day from the readers of the reports in the other. I bet you'd have better odds in vegas...

Better yet - move to MDR and keep a radio in your house so you can hear the lies on the radio first hand!

I'm still trying to explain to my wife why spening 200K on a boat and 25K on electronics is not that much. She says that's 2 much and all the electronics are cheating. Have you seen the cost of tuna in the mkt lately?? HA
FILMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #35 (permalink)

Hi Jim,

I don't agree with you!
I don't agree with what you posted!

I DO though enjoy having my mind stimulated to think outside the box!
For that, I sincerely Thank You!

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.
JSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #36 (permalink)

Tim, you're hitting the nail on the head. There are those who have put in the time to figure these fish out. Ask them how many days they've taken the helmet to end up on those days when the fish are jumping on everything. All that time on the water is of cumulative benefit in the hunt. Like I said, it's to the point that I can pretty much tell by the SSTs when and where to hunt. It's no guarantee of fish (there never is), but the odds are much higher. As a result, I can cut out much of the wasted effort. Also as a result of that cumulative effort, I have that much more respect for and understanding of my quarry.

You short circuit the learning curve by giving out bite info to what you refer to as the "Grizwalds." Inevitably, the Grizwalds kill everything they hook. They haven't put in all that cumulative effort and consequently have not built up that respect for their quarry. The hardest part about thresher fishing is finding them. Once you find them and put some proper offering out, they find you. The rest is proper rigging and boat handling.

Our best hope is for bad weather this weekend and albacore in the channel shortly to relieve the pressure. Nothing like an even greater abundance of an incredibly stupid but great eating fish like the albacore to redirect the fishing pressure.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 05:50 PM   #37 (permalink)

Jim, While occasionally you have brought up some interesting issues and good points, I think you are way off base on this one.

>What was intended as a semi private conversation is now
>general info for thousands.

There is NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY relative to a VHF radio transmission. To support an alternative view is just irresponsible.

>Meanwhile some guy miles away is listening to a scanner and he
>records everything you say to your Friends. Probably you don't
>know he's listening so you give out all the good details.
>
>He then takes the info. When, Where, How and puts it on a pay
>access board that's used by many and advertises the fact it's
>there to thousands on the INTERNET.
>
>I think that's a pretty accurate description of what's going
>on here. With the new pay service for real time reports.

There have been many people scanning the VHF transmissions of sports fishermen for years. The information thus obtained frequently has been used to the detriment of the sports fishing community. The best example of this is associated with the purse seining fleet.

>Often there have been fights on this site about what and what
>not to post.

Usually instigated by the most verbose posters of the past.
Done_Deal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 06:00 PM   #38 (permalink)

Default RE: 976 AC?

Mike, typically on this issue I would suggest to anglers to consider what they would do on a bite of trophy bass (10+ lb fish) in freshwater. You've got a confined impound of water with a finite number of trophy fish and a potentially limitless population of anglers lusting to get one. The trained reaction is obvious:

Until the saltwater guys learn this, we'll see continual parking lot slaugthers out there.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 06:11 PM   #39 (permalink)

Default RE: 976 AC?

Hi Mike,
Are you the same guy that used to write for Pacific Fisherman? If so, I have some video footage of you fighting a large yellowfin tuna on the Qualifier 105 about 5 or 6 years ago. If you want a copy of it, let me know.
TunaByte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 06:14 PM   #40 (permalink)

Default RE: Ok

I landed two of them that day, both over 100lbs. Afterward, I went to Dana Point Harbor to fish from the rocks and landed a 650 Black Marlin on 4lb test. I then submitted it to the IGFA, and can you imagine they didn't believe me.
TunaByte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.