Stan... Basic question on the "Drop-Back" - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stan... Basic question on the "Drop-Back"

Let's say that you're just trolling along and you get a knock-down on one of the jigs, but not a hookup...
When you drop back the live bait, do you slow down? speed up? stay the same pace?
If you were to get a hookup on the jigs, do you like to drop back a biat anyways, in case of more than one fish?
Thanks in advance
DawnPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Stan... Basic question on the "Drop-Back"

There are guys with a lot more experience on this that me on the other board, and I'll query them as well. Basically, I believe in maintaining speed initially and letting the bait slide back to where the lures are. If you are successful, the fish transfers its interest from your lure to the bait - your basic bait and switch (man, I'll hear from Fred on this ...). If you don't get the transfer, I'd slow down. This does two things - it lets the bait act more like a bait and less like a lure, and it changes the speed of the lures. I don't know why, but I - and a lot of others - have had success with fish hitting lures on the slide as they sink out.
MarlinNut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2005, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default RE: Stan... Basic question on the "Drop-Back"

Thanks Stan!
Now, for a quick Marlin report. We fished today (Wed.) around the 182 and then later on the the afternoon a route towards the top of the 9-Mile Bank....
Had TWO knockdowns near the 182 (temp was 68.2 or so), clean water, all patties devoid of life. They were the type of knockdowns where it was a quick zip on the outrigger, then no hookup. Both were on a Bleeding Mackeral... (we had the EAL mean joe green on the short).

Then about 4 miles east of the 182 we came upon two feeders thrashing amongst some porpoise. We threw some Spanish we made at LJ kelp at them but they sunk out real, real quick. One of them was a monster!

Later we almost ran over a real small runt about 4 miles from the top of the nine. He boogied away real fast...

It was not a real comfortable day... high winds, mixed swell, we had to be real careful of our tack in the CC...

BUT... we saw fish! They are still out there.

Thanks to mall in this forum for their expertise.

Its just frustrating when the fish seem real skittery, and don't want to hang out on the surface. These fish were moving very quickly, not the lazy types or the slow cruising types that you have a chance to throw on... maybe the windy, choppy weather had something to do with it??
DawnPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.