Rpt-1.5 day Aztec trip 08-07-12 Tuna, Tails and Do Do's! - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rpt-1.5 day Aztec trip 08-07-12 Tuna, Tails and Do Do's!

Fishing on the Aztec, out of Seaforth Landing on a 1.5-Day trip: that left Tuesday evening on 08-07-12, returning Thursday at noon. I left my office in San Bernardino at 3:45 pm, arriving Mission Bay at 5:45pm. The boat?s departure time was 7pm. Captain Mikey was out getting Bait, and we left the dock at 7:30pm with 22 anglers. The game plan was to run way far south to where 3 Kelp?s produced counts of 300 Bluefin Tuna, 150 and 70. A few other boats had scratch fishing at best. If you don?t find the right Kelp Paddy, you are SOL! I woke up late for me at 5:20 am and the cabin was empty, as we were not stopping short unless a big sonar mark was metered. Cook Shon was up at 6am and stimulated our appetite with the aroma of Bacon on the grill. The coffee was outstanding as usual. The seas were calm and we had only a hint of breeze. At 6:30 am Captain Mikey announced that we over a 100 miles south and would continue at full speed until we reached the targeted area of 120 miles. At 8:30 am we put in the trollers and the water temps were now 68.3 degrees. We found Kelp Paddy after Kelp Paddy, with most yielding nothing. We picked a Yellowtail here and there; most were between 18 to 20 pounds. Here is Jim with a 20 pound Yellowtail: Just after Jim hooked up, Marissa soaked a bait for a while and hooked her first ever Yellowfin Tuna in the bow: We trolled and trolled for hours and hours, catching a few fish and then found a Kelp Paddy yielding a bunch of Dorado. Marissa caught her first ever Mahi Mahi on this stop: I hooked and released my only fish of the day, a four pound Dorado. Literally felt I was skunked, must be paying my penitence for something? You win some and you lose some, today I lost one! Captain Mikey said we were down over 144 miles and the wa temp has risen to 70.3 degrees. Still we found no Tuna and worked our way east. At 6:30 pm we had our first jig stop of the day, a double on the Yellowfin Tuna. We landed both troll fish, hooked about five bait fish, and landed two. I could not get bit to save my life! A few pictures of the Yellowfin Tuna and the Jackpot: We continued to troll until it was pitch black outside. At a little after 8pm, Captain Mikey said we were still down over 142 miles and would arrive at the dock at noon Wed. morning. Cook Shon served up a fantastic chicken, rice and broccoli dinner, with salad and chocolate cake desert. The crew of Matt, Nathan and Mike worked the tails off to provide excellent service to all, kudos guys, you did a great job! Thanks so much Captain Mikey for going the distance, . Hope we find the Tuna on the chew and the seas calm on our next adventure together. Hook up! Cory

This post edited by Tunaslam 08/09/2012
Tunaslam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Rpt-1.5 day Aztec trip 08-07-12 Tuna, Tails and Do Do's!

Hi Tunaslam,

Great report and photos. It must have been especially painful to bite the bullet (as I have so, so many times) and dutifuly take photos of others good fortune and skill in grip n' grins when we ourselves are not nearly so lucky.

Kinda makes one wonder about the fish karma thing. I brush it off as a test in humility and take it in stride as I know you surely do !!

Ever notice how more attentive some folks are when you talk of how one lost a fish then a description of a typical battle !? ha ha ha !!

Thanks,

tsurikichi
tsurikichi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurikichi
Hi Tunaslam,

Great report and photos. It must have been especially painful to bite the bullet (as I have so, so many times) and dutifuly take photos of others good fortune and skill in grip n' grins when we ourselves are not nearly so lucky.

Kinda makes one wonder about the fish karma thing. I brush it off as a test in humility and take it in stride as I know you surely do !!

Ever notice how more attentive some folks are when you talk of how one lost a fish then a description of a typical battle !? ha ha ha !!

Thanks,

tsurikichi
Ron I can tell you this, it's a feeling at the end of the trip as well as during, that you don't want to experience often, yet know you are due every now and then.

Folks often ask if I ever have a bad trip and we all know the answer is yes, and this is proof. I have always practiced good or bad, I write a report. Thank goodness there are far more good than bad!

Cory
Tunaslam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

GREAT REPORT and as we know by now that's fishin Cory!
Some **** nice fish down 130 or so, if they bite!
RonBeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.