Newbie boater looking for advice - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie boater looking for advice

Hi all - I just posted a related question in the private boating technical forum but I'm also looking for some non-technical advice so I'm posting here as well

I recently unexpectedly inherited a 20'6" runabout (Tahoe Q6 Ski and Fish w/190HP Mercruiser I/O), but I'm a newbie in terms of private saltwater boating and am pretty clueless both in terms of small boat range/capabilities and fishing spots in the LA area (I'm in MDR).

For starters, I have no sense as to the ocean capabilities of a boat like this - should I stick to inshore or can I go further out, and in what kind of conditions? Is Catalina feasible? I'd rather not find out the hard way that I've bitten off more than the boat can chew, so I'd rather err on the conservative side.

Beyond where I can go, where should I go for fishing? Is the MDR harbor worth fishing or should I skip it and go elsewhere? I always see private boats down in the PV area hitting kelp beds, but tying into the first question above, I'm not sure if PV is doable in my boat from MDR.

Thanks in advance to all.
krick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Newbie boater looking for advice

Hi krick,

The net has lots of info on the safety equipment requirements, maps of fishing areas, discussion and information boards like ours .... but nothing will be more effective (in my opinion)than finding .... hopefully .... among your buddies..... someone who has owned and run a boat in the big salty here locally for some time. Some folks might be willing to buddy-boat with you to get you started too.

Some great (how to) books out there on boating angler basics. Might check the california state and federal recreational boating sites and become familiar with sources for marine weather forecasts and water conditions, launch sites, boating AAA-like service etc.

Stating that you know little honestly should get you some help from some old hands on specific topics... if asked. Whatever else I can suggest is safety first, second, and third. Next, master the equipment for a minimial jaunt in our many harbors.

Look forward to follow your boating and fishing adventures in the future.

tsurikichi
tsurikichi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Take a boating class to learn the rules of the road and safety !!
Tailman One is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailman One
Absolutely take a safe boating course. Check out the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

I would look for somebody to go out with that has some time on the water that can help you to get use to the boat, you can get referrals for professional captains or just make some friends here that want to fish and can help you to learn.

If you are wanting to take the boat out and fish, a good area to start would be around the Long Beach harbor where you can fish & have a shot at halibut without having to leave the safety of the harbor until you get familiar with your boat and then as you feel comfortable explore out a little.

Be sure to have a GPS & VHF in case of emergency, my cell phone always seems to be dead when I have an important call to make.
captain dav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Always ck the weather reports go to http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46053 find your local bouy and if the period between is less than 8 secs don't go out, never go out in small craft or worse.

Do take the power squadron course, do have fire extinguishers, a handheld and perm vhf. Do get an epirb, get radar, make a list of stuff you need to do and keep on phone and ck it before you leave,

1). hose for wash out

2). lift motors

3). ck oil and water levels

4). disconnect power cords

5). boat plug

6). tell people where your going and when you expect to be bACK

etc etc. when things go bad in ocea effects multipy quickly
WHALER28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Here's the rules of the road link. http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent[/url] Here's a link to sail flow http://www.sailflow.com/windandwhere...0&timeoffset=1 The wind is usually the biggest problem unless there is a large swell near shore. You can look days in advance on the link at the wind forecast. If you are off shore and lose power in rough seas to prevent rolling over you should at least deploy a drift sock to control your drift and if you have power in rough seas run with the weather down swell if possible and be very careful concerning Santa Ana winds. Sea Tow or v assist is strongly suggested and you should get a VHF radio DSC distress emergency switch here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-f4n...eature=related Chart plotters are a very resourceful tool in many regards to keep out of danger areas like navigational hazards and shipping lanes. Also always observe fog forecast and learn how to navigate in fog especially if you are going to be near shore in high traffic areas or shipping lanes. You can also file float planes with the coast guard and friends. Catalina is ambitious for a new boater who is responsible you should cut your teeth and get your sea legs near the mainland first preferably with experienced boaters after you learn th rules of the road a must especially if you have passengers. Make some friends and go on their boats for a island run and do a lot of observing you will need it the San Pedro Channel can be violent at times and even the harbor can be very dangerous. You fishing diving ? what are you interested in fishing for ? Take it slow and enjoy your self you'll be fine.

This post edited by Keith Poe 06/19/2012
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yhst-65521606822991_2216_32185529.jpg (19.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 028.JPG (38.7 KB, 0 views)
Keith Poe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

X2

I think that this is about as good as your going to get in terms of your boat can handle this and not knowing any other information you should be safe.

The rest falls on your shoulders to learn and become accustomed to making the call of what is safe. Not that others or myself wouldn't help but what you'll come to see is that these questions are often asked on these boards and wise men experienced on the ocean have little interest in telling someone "sure your boat can make it to Catalina" Its like sending someone into a fire fight because they have a capable gun. Until you are capable and confident understanding both your and the boats seaworthiness your best bet is go slow and learn everything you can.

Best of luck and be safe out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain dav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailman One
Absolutely take a safe boating course. Check out the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

I would look for somebody to go out with that has some time on the water that can help you to get use to the boat, you can get referrals for professional captains or just make some friends here that want to fish and can help you to learn.

If you are wanting to take the boat out and fish, a good area to start would be around the Long Beach harbor where you can fish & have a shot at halibut without having to leave the safety of the harbor until you get familiar with your boat and then as you feel comfortable explore out a little.

Be sure to have a GPS & VHF in case of emergency, my cell phone always seems to be dead when I have an important call to make.

Hithard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow - thanks so much everyone for the incredibly thoughtful and helpful information and advice. I clearly have a lot to learn, but I'll take it slow and cautious until I get some more experience, knowledge and training.

One more question - I just purchased a handheld VHF w/DSC (Standard Horizon HX851S) which I was told should be sufficient for near shore use, but am I right that given the limited range that I should have a 25W fixed mount unit if/when I ever decide to go out to Catalina?
krick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

At least that. When you're out on the water communication and knowledge/awareness of your boat (and its handling abilities) are two of the most important things you can have.

Local bay, inside harbors you're fine with a hand held (or two, redundancy in the marine environment is critical) and your cell. Don't depend on your cell for emergency but it can be useful for non emergency communication.

Also make sure you're planning out your trips and sticking to them. Its important that the people who will look for you know when and where should that time ever come.
Hithard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

what battery configuration do you have ? 1 or 2 with an all switch ?

might consider a back up batter charger or small generator with a charger especially if you are going to install a bait tank and do a lot of drifting.

i have 2 batteries all switch and a 2 battery 3 stage charging system with a 3500 watt generator and a back up 1000 watt generator but i use a lot of power and stay out for extended periods but you should be fine with 2 batteries or a back up but a small generator is great especially for a lighting system for any repairs in the dark and much more.
Keith Poe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.