Collecting Names of 'Kid Friendly' Public Sportfishing Boats - Page 2 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2005, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default RE: Collecting Names of 'Kid Friendly' Public Sportfishing Boats

Hey there samiclaus,

Thank you.

I'll put it up and hope that others will have like stories.

tsurikichi
tsurikichi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2005, 10:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hi there amalfavon,

Thank you for the info. I met one deckie recently from the Monte Carlo and he seemed like a super nice guy that would be good with kids! 3 times out...... 3 good trips .... sounds like consistancy to me!

Again thanks,

tsurikichi
Old 09-22-2005, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Tsurikichi,

I ran a youth fishing program from about 1981 through 2001. It is the program the evolved into the Santa Monica Bay Halibut Derby Youth Fishing Program. This program was one of the first, if not the first, very large scale youth fishing program in Southern California that was run via 1/2 day boats as opposed to piers or barges.

Today, there are numerous youth fishing programs. I would think that every landing has a boat that is favored for these programs. You might try contacting each landing to ask what boat is best suited for what you have in mind.

Another source of information would be the current youth fishing programs. 976Tuna, MDR Anglers, Friends of Roli and SAC are just a few that come to mind.

Good Luck
Done_Deal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

Hi again Done Deal,

Thank you for the good advice. I look forward to your furture contributions. I feel as if I know you from another board. Either that or...... a like spirit!

Yes, as you know.....a couple of the landings actually have kids fishing clubs attached to them with discounts, derbys, etc. United Anglers also has a number of programs for kids. Dan Hernandez has also setup an event he has done for several years.

In a word .....

There is no excuse NOT to take a kid fishing!

tsurikichi
Old 09-22-2005, 08:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

The New Del Mar is a good boat but one thing should be said, it can get very crowded. Crowds can make it very hard for kids to fish. Tangles and drunks and guys who don't realize that everyone learned somehow can make for tough experiences. Please understand I am not saying this only in regard to the New Del Mar. I've fished the boat many times, I like the boat and do recommend it to others.

Two boats I like for kids would be the Cobra (I think hes out of Oxnard now), and the Betty G. Both owners are very nice and professional Chris and John respectively. They also are two guys I would kids on thier boats.

I don't have kids but have fished with kids and beginners alike on both boats.

Mike
Hithard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2005, 08:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

My vote for 1/2 day is the redondo special. Its a funny looking boat, but fishy and the crew is great. I learned to fish out here on that boat.
fisherbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2005, 11:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

I would add the Coroloma out of Capt. Hooks to the list also. They treated my 10 year old son great.
finsane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2005, 02:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hi there Hithard,

Thank you for contributing, period and ..... for voicing one of what I think should be one of the 'written in stone' tenants.

That is ... the first few times you take a kid... please go on a weekday (even if ya gotta take off). Especially on the 1/2 day boats as they are usually smaller and crowded as the deck will have more time for the individual angler, there should be less pressure on the boat, and more than a few regulars (in my experience) are older and often kinder. I know I am.

Second tenant is.... 'Don't make a kids' first trip on a twilight at the peak of the sandbass migration').

Thanks for the boats,

tsurikichi
Old 09-23-2005, 02:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Hi there finsane,

Thank you for the boat. I'll put 'er up and if and when you go on her again, give us a report...... if you please.

tsurikichi
Old 09-25-2005, 04:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

While there are many charter boats out there that cater to kids...I think the Victory out of Long Beach Sportfishing is a high ranker. In fact my 14 year old son David is in his 4th year as a pinhead and is in charge of making sure kids have fun. My 16 yr old daughter Amanda is the galley girl on Sundays and is great with little anglers. So if you want an atmosphere where kids are well treated...then the Victory would be a good choice.
CharlieM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.